The purpose of this procedure is to ensure each student’s evidence of prior learning is systemically assessed for recognition purposes in alignment with the rules of evidence as determined by the Vocational Education Training (VET) industry regulatory body, the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA).
How Are My Skills Assessed?
- Perform tasks or jobs
- Talk about and explain how you undertake those jobs
- Provide samples of your work
- Provide transcripts of qualifications completed
You will be requested to collate evidence to demonstrate your current knowledge, skills and experience that are relevant to the qualification you are seeking. Once the evidence has been collated and submitted, a Fresh Start Education Trainer & Assessor will review the evidence and map against the qualification’s performance criteria
- Provide details about how current and previous employment, training and other learning relates to the unit requirements
- Complete a Self-Evaluation Questionnaire and engage in a Record of Conversation with your Fresh Start Education Trainer & Assessor noting any knowledge and skills you possess against the unit criteria, and provide evidence of the completion of those competencies
- Complete workplace tasks as requested by your Fresh Start Education Trainer & Assessor
- Provide validation from a supervisor about typical workplace performance.
- Refer to the specific Course Brochure and review the units of competency
- Go to www.training.gov.au and enter the unit of competency code in the Search for Nationally Recognised Training Components section
- Read the Skills and Knowledge required to achieve competency in that unit of competency. If you believe you already have the skills and knowledge please speak with your Fresh Start Education Trainer & Assessor. Should any gaps be identified,
Please be aware that additional training will be required to complete all aspects of the unit of competency.